Sunday, October 9, 2011

Less than a month to the season...

The good news... the Virginia High School League adopted a week earlier start time for winter sports this year.
The better news... Monday, November 7 is less than a month away
The bad news... until then, we are still working with preseason practices and the obstacles associated

So over the past week and a half, I've been spending a whole lot of time doing film study, watching our games from last year over and over, looking at the smaller details. I've also been studying film of colleges who have clips of their practices online. Check out this one of the Gonzaga Women's Basketball Team:
This is impressive. In our practices at Cosby, I always preach energy, intensity, and communication, from the time you walk in the gym to the time you wrap up. Notice how every player is into it, yelling, clapping, working hard, and enjoying it. That's how I played, and I think you get more out of practice if you practice in this type of atmosphere.

Another website I stumbled upon is the one created by Florida State Women's Basketball. Take a look.
http://www.seminolehoops.com/index.html

All I can say is wow. This is great stuff. All of the videos not only are useful to young players from a workout stand point, but a lot of the clips show how Coach Semrau's program is a family. Playing in college, I felt as if I was part of a family too, but they really showcase it to the world on this website. Honestly, I'd want to go to Florida State after visiting this site. It must help them with recruiting, and obviously they do a ton of great things there to have had so much success. I'm sure I'll visit this site more than once again. I hope to one day have the chance to work in a program like that.

On another ACC basketball note, I want to shout out former Cosby stand out Kelsey Conyers for making the women's basketball team at Virginia Tech. Kelsey has played with and against that level of talent before, and she was a pleasure to coach last season as a Senior. She was an All Distirct, All Region, and All Metro player multiple times, and not only a top rate player, but a top rate person. It doesn't surprise me at all, and I'm glad she decided to play at VT. Congrats to her, and I have a feeling that program will be better everyday she walks in the gym. That's just Kelsey.

Other than that, I'm just waiting to watch the CBS 6 News at 11 (sorry, I'm not on tonight), and then get to sleep. Tomorrow is my Saturday, and my only true off day this week, with shifts at the YMCA and preseason practice filling the rest of my week, then it's back to CBS 6 Friday. I'm just looking forward to working out tomorrow and getting some shots up. Hopefully, my ankle and knee soreness continue to subside. Thanks for reading.

-- Coach P

No comments:

Post a Comment