Saturday, October 29, 2011

It's snowing in Radford, and I'm not there

First of all, truly amazing end to a story I broke last Sunday. Friday afternoon, Robert Wood, Jr. was found near the spot where he was last seen in the North Anna Battlefield Park. This is a shocking piece of great news. If you live in Central Va. you already know that. So many people volunteered and searched and prayed, and now they celebrate. I am interested to see what information comes out next. How this kid survived 6 days on his own in the woods is remarkable, and as far as I know, that's exactly what happened. I'll be working on the story again tomorrow with my colleagues at CBS 6.

I'll admit, I didn't watch all of the World Series, but obviously if you're a fan of baseball, you're a fan of that drama in a 7 game series. Some players definitely made names for themselves this fall. As for my Yankees, the Quest for 28 continues...

It's no secret I couldn't have made it to the college level playing basketball without a serious commitment to working hard every single day. Yesterday I read an interesting story on Dallas Cowboys.com (yes I'm a huge Cowboy fan) about a true underdog story of a guy who is also being praised for his work ethic. That guy is rookie running back Phillip Tanner. Here's a quote I'd like to share from that article.

"You have to go to practice every day as if you’re the starter. You have to take every rep as if you’re going to take every rep in the game and work hard, finish all your runs.” -- Phillip Tanner


If I could share a quote with young athletes out there, this would be near the top of the list. Here's the thing, Tanner was a small school DI back. Obviously, born with a ton of athletic ability. But, he went undrafted this year, and was signed by the Cowboys as a rookie free agent. After a huge preseason, he gave them no choice but to keep him on the roster, and last week, he saw his first action in the backfield, gaining 34 yards on 6 carries and scoring a touchdown. The article praises Tanner for coming in early everyday. He's in as early as 3:30 a.m., and even on his "late" days, he beats most all of the team and staff still (6:45 a.m.). Good for him. Hard work pays off. Even if he wasn't a Cowboy, I'd be happy for him. He's been a great story, and conquered the odds so far. That's motivation.


It feels like December in Richmond right now, and Western Va. got several inches of snow today. The closest snow got to me was about 20 minutes north of the city in Ashland. I always have said, if it's going to be cold, it might as well snow.


Well, time to get to sleep. Working my usual super long Sunday tomorrow, starting at 6am. Stanford and USC are in OT on my TV, should be fun to watch. 


Remember, you're blessed to have tomorrow, no matter what happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment