Sunday, October 9, 2011

First Post, First Step?

I've never been about blog's. Sure, I read a blog or two about sports mostly, but that's the extent. I guess I've always just thought, when people first started making them, blogs were part of a person's struggle to seem important and feel like their opinions matter or make a difference.

Maybe back then, it was true. But now, I look at it as a way for people who want to read about me to be able to do that. It's a way to connect and network. Maybe it's a way for me to finally get my big break, in the form of a full time job. Maybe you're a college coach looking for your next assistant, or perhaps a News Director with a FULL TIME opening for a reporter, one that actually offers benefits that I don't have right now.

Or maybe you're just like me, a young, hard working recent college grad who is a victim of circumstance, piecing together his early 20's with a bevy of part time work that adds up to well over 40 hours a week, but with no salary or benefits to show it. Maybe you're like me, working 30 hour "weekends" (Friday-Sunday) for almost two years just waiting to prove that you're worth more opportunities and those last 10 crucial hours to get you over the hump. It could be you've always had success with everything you've been given, but you don't have a big name connection on your resume to land you that one interview you really want.

It's discouraging, and yet you take pride in everything you do, and do it better than anyone ever thought you could or asked you to do it. You keep your eyes on the future, remember what you've learned along the way, and trust in your faith that one day, it will happen.  Sure, maybe you're current situation isn't all you want it to be, or all that you deserve, but you can always make the most of every situation.

So maybe you are like me. I can't promise I'll take to this blog thing well, but last year one of my New Year's Resolutions was to be more active on Twitter (follow me with the link on your left), and so far I've done a pretty good job.

If you read my about me section, you can get a pretty good idea of what I'm all about. I hope to use this blog to talk a lot of basketball, seen and experienced through the life of a young coach and former college player. I only have a few friends in the college coaching business, but reading their blogs, I'm inspired. I also hope to share some of my work as a journalist, whether it be a link to a web story or a video package or something like that. Lastly, I hope to blog about how great life is no matter how much of a struggle you are going through. I'm young, I know I only live once, and I enjoy having a good time, going out with my brothers, playing ball, laughing at funny videos, and talking junk about my favorite sports teams and fantasy football. That's just who I am. I'd like to think, it's a good way to be.

http://twitter.com/#!/travisponton

--TP

No comments:

Post a Comment