Sunday, October 23, 2011

Breaking huge stories=being on top in this game

Journalism, like basketball, is very competitive in nature. To be successful, you want to be first on the big stories, dominate the coverage of those stories, and deliver the most information in the most unique and entertaining way possible.

In almost two years now in the business, I've worked hard and broken some of the biggest stories Richmond, Va. has seen in that time span. Today, i broke a story about a 9 year old boy who has gone missing at a Civil War Battlefield Park in Hanover County. This boy is autistic and non-verbal, and simply wandered off from his family.

It's never a good idea to let one's personal feelings creep into a story, but hey I'm no longer at work, and this is a personal blog, so I'll be honest. I think this is very sad, obviously, and like several other stories I've reported on, it can get to you a little bit if you let it. Obviously, my thoughts and prayers go out to this boy's family, and I hope this story has a happy ending.

Speaking of competition, and happy endings, Demarco Murray set the Dallas Cowboys team new record for rushing yards in a single game today. The game wasn't televised here, but just following it on the computer, I was honestly amazed that he just kept breaking off one big run after another. I didn't have high hopes for him coming into the game, as the Cowboys have struggled mightily in the running attack the past two seasons, and their already inexperienced offensive line is not experiencing injuries to go along with the growing pains. But wow, Murray was just awesome today. Watching clips of his post game press conference, I was even more impressed, as he thanked God and his teammates, giving all the credit to others. I hope this isn't the last time we hear about a dominating rushing performance from this guy.

Hold on so did the Raiders really throw 6 interceptions today between Kyle Boller and Carson Palmer? Hate to say I told you so, that trade for Palmer was terrible. He did no better or worse than Boller. In his defense, he probably had no business being out there after spending less than a week int he offense and not even playing for almost a year. But still...

I'd be remiss not to mention a true inspiration of mine, Zack Ryder, who went from WWE's chopping block to wrestling on a pay per view for a championship. I know not all of you are wrestling fans, but his story is simple. He wasn't getting opportunities to prove himself, move up in the world, and do what he really loves. His bosses more or less ignored him. Most fans knew hardly anything about him, and even fewer cared. Then, 36 weeks ago, he started his own youtube show, and as he said in this past week's episode, he was either going to get fired, or he was going to get noticed. Zack Ryder took a shot, and it paid off. This is why he's a motivator to a person like me. Taking chances can pay off after all.

Well, that's all I have for tonight. The Walking Dead was great, and as always we are all left with a cliff hanger ending. I was, however, spoiled by the extended episode last week.

And so my weekend begins... Oh wait, I don't have any days off this week...
#Dannngggg

-- TP

No comments:

Post a Comment