Saturday, October 22, 2011

Be grateful, you have the chance to work hard

Needless to say, there's a pretty sizable homeless population here in RVA. Like most people here, I drive passed them on the street corners and what not. I have trouble sometimes with the concept, because there are people out there who not only fake it, but also people who choose to be homeless, and travel from city to city panhandling because they want to live that way. It's a very complex concept to grasp at times, there's a lot to it.

Still, I passed an older man today, panhandling on Broad St. today, and I felt bad for him. Seeing things like this reminds me of how lucky I am. I don't just mean on the surface, you know that I'm lucky to have food, a house, clothes, jobs, etc. But, I realize how lucky I really am to have the chance to work hard today.

I have no idea what the guy's story was that I saw begging, but it still hit me, and definitely motivated. We may not always like some of the things we do, but I think we are lucky, at the same time, to have the chance to do them. Working hard to be a better basketball player is not easy, at least it wasn't for me, and yet everyday I felt blessed to have the chance to work hard anyway. I tell my players, it's easy to not put in the work, but to be successful is hard.

The same can be applied for a work environment. We all grumble, and yet we're grateful. I can honestly say I feel privileged right now, and when I get to the gym this evening, I'll work that much harder. Motivation is always something to be grateful for.Wherever you go today, whatever you do, think about people who legitimately lack the chances you're afforded just to put in the work. And remember, you can always work harder.

Heading to the gym this afternoon. It's always tough on a Saturday after a long shift at the station, but during the colder months, it's part of the routine. Then, one of my producers is having a house warming party in the west end, so I had plans to stop by. That's always a fun crowd.

It's always good to talk to old friends. It always bugs me that I go so long without talking to or hearing from people I used to be close too, but sometimes life works that way. Still, always a good time.

I have to admit, while I had a great time hanging out with my fraternity brother DC last night downtown, there were plenty of wild sights. Neither of us, for instance, understand why girls choose to cut all their hair off, actually shave would be a better word. It's not a good look for a chic. Happy belated birthday to DC by the way, good times as always.

That's all I got. And remember---

Follow me on Twitter- @travisponton

No comments:

Post a Comment