Saturday, October 15, 2011

Injuries are part of the game....

Sometimes, one of the hardest parts about being an athlete is being bit by the inevitable injury bug.

Injuries happen. Trust me, I've had my share of them, from concussions to crutches, from a college training room to the ankle injuries, and physical therapy, I could tell some injury stories. When you play hard at a high level, sometimes you get hurt.

This risk is something we accept every time we lace 'em up, but that doesn't make it any easier to overcome. For me, I was one of those alpha-jocks who hated taking a day off, missing a practice or game, or even just a chance to work out and get better. I'd rush back, even sneak to get a workout in when I'm supposed to still be on crutches. That's how a competitor is.

As a coach, as a human being, though, we tend to always treat someone else's injuries with extreme caution. It may sound cliche, but here's what I tell young athletes- one or two practices or games aren't likely to make or break your career. While being injured sucks, keep your head up, don't let it get you down, even though it's easy to get depressed. I tell them, your number one priority is your health, doing what you have to do to get healthy. That's how you can help your team. An injury may affect you physically, but there's still other things you can contribute to the team even if you're physically hurt, and the team always needs that.

We know more now about various injuries than we did even 5 years ago. You see so much focus on concussions for instance, as we continue to learn more about the possible long term affects and consequences of having severe head injuries. I think it's great to continue to learn more about injuries, their prevention, and how to more quickly remedy one. And remember, it's part of the game.

Two movies I'm looking forward to seeing: the remake of 3 Musketeers and Anonymous, the movie about Shakespeare. Both of the previews look very good, and my little bro has already been bugging me about going to see them. I saw Moneyball a few weeks ago, and it was worth the ticket price.

It's been the weekend of overtime at work so far. Thanks to everyone who reads my stuff on wtvr.com. I'll have more tomorrow on some of the stories I've covered this weekend. So far, my two big stories for the weekend are definitely interesting topics that have generated conversation.

Drake and Jay Pharoh on SNL rapping about stealing candy from kids was pretty funny. Two talented guys right there.

Ok, I'm out. Work before the sun is up tomorrow. Good news- for me, it's FRIDAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment