Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Today's not that day...

Even on the bad days, and trust me, today has been a really bad day, you have to take a step back and realize that you are where you are right now because that's where God wants you to be.

One thing about me, I'm always the same, no matter what. I strive to give more than is asked of me, and overachieve. What are expectations anyway? To me, expectations ALWAYS are just a glass ceiling waiting to be broken through, a challenge in which someone is daring you to exceed them. I'm a pretty simple person. I work hard, love basketball, love working out, and give everything I have to becoming a better journalist and coach. I love my friends and brothers, and when I do have free time, I go out and enjoy it. That's all pretty surface stuff.

I have my faults, but often times those aren't the faults I get attacked for. I realize that the Bible encourages us to be perfect, even as God Himself is, and yet we have to realize we will never ever be perfect. So, instead I'm hard on myself, and focus on how I can get better and how I've failed, instead of how much I've succeeded.

Today, yeah I got hurt. But you know what, I don't get up with the expectation that sometimes I'll get knocked down. Basketball has taught me this life lesson many times. On days like this, I just go to the court, back to what I know best, the game that's always been there for me. I've given basketball my blood, sweat and tears many times over, and God willing, I'll give a lot more. It won't ever be enough for what basketball has given me.

A strong willed person has to welcome the bad days and overcome. That's part of growing up and learning. I've often heard that only you can make your own day a bad one. They say the only way something could happen and bring you down is when you let it. This is true 90% of the time, but sometimes, stuff happens that is above your realm of control.

One day, I think I'll be everything God wanted me to be. That day is not today, but it will be because of today that I will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment