Sunday, November 6, 2011

Brigning the noise

If you love basketball, and love being a part of a basketball team, then like me, you LIVE for days like tomorrow. Tomorrow is a holiday, the first day of practice.

I'll admit, I remember how I felt about going into any try out as a player, and it's one of those things that's a lot different on the other side, as a coach. But either way, as a person who loves this game, you embrace the season, live for it, roll up your sleeves and get to work.

No matter if you're a player or a coach, wherever you play, at whatever level, day 1 is the day you get to work. No team should ever be the same on the last day of season as they are on the first day, but I'm a firm believer that from the first day of practice, you can get better, as an individual and as a team. One of my goals this season as a coach is to do everything I can to help our team get something out of every practice, and get better. It starts with the coaches. If you go in with the energy and a good plan, then your players will feed off that. Good habits are contagious. That's one of my favorite concepts that I preach to our girls all the time.

In all likely hood, tomorrow morning's 7am practice will fly by, and I'll wonder where it went. Sure, decisions about roster spots and the like will have to be made this week, but that's a whole other story for another day. Tomorrow, up before the sun, I have one goal for myself, and one challenge for our players- Bring the Noise.

OK I know that's cliche, but there's a deeper meaning to the word noise for us at Cosby. One of my huge points of emphasis in the preseason was for us to bring the energy, intensity, passion, and effort every single day we're on the court. Noise not only refers to doing big things, but opening your mouth, supporting your teammates, and just bringing a high level along with your best every time out, for the team. If you watch big time D1 programs go, there's a certain aura, a certain energy to it. Those players who have made it to that level are good for a reason. People can say they love the game, but then their talking stops when it's go time. Good is good for a reason.

Thinking back to the days and months of anticipation for what I get to do tomorrow, work with a coaching staff and our players, it's all coming full circle. I have passed on full time jobs in order to keep coaching, and people may question it, but none of that matters, because days like tomorrow, are days that I live for. Being part of a team, something bigger than yourself, makes life worth while.

And tomorrow, I plan on bringing the noise....

Go Titans!

-- TP

No comments:

Post a Comment