Monday, November 21, 2011

Funny ways

"Well look there. God sure works in funny ways sometimes. Here we are talking about an opportunity and then one walks right in the door."

Those are words spoken to me just today by a very good man, a person I have a ton of respect for. Whenever I need advice, I seem to have a good pool of people to choose from. Today, I made a good choice. I'm very very blessed, and I may have just taken a step in the right direction. Either way, it's always a good day when you can spend any amount of time with someone you have so much respect and admiration for, and in the process, just spending time with that person makes you better.

As a young high school player, I was constantly reminded by one of the most influential people in my basketball life, Coach John "Sarge Siers, that there are a ton of people out there who have way more knowledge and experience in this sport than I could ever hope to gain. I've talked about Sarge before, and once again he was right. In everything I do, even unrelated to basketball, I value people who know more than me, and take to heart the things they share with me. I hope one day I earn that type of respect.

It's hard to believe it's Thanksgiving again, huh? Like so many families, one less person will be at dinner this year at our house, as I lost my final surviving grandparent last February. There's so much to be thankful for in life, but perhaps one thing a lot of us overlook is that we should be especially thankful for the people in our lives we love, because you never know when their chair will be the empty one. Just a thought.

I was shooting the ball really well when i began my workout this afternoon, but late in the workout, my mind wandered and I lost focus on my workout, and the ball stopped coming out of my hand well. Back in the day, I used to be able to block things out because I knew I loved playing basketball more than pretty much anything. Now that I'm older though, and no longer playing, the more serious things that occupy my thoughts can sneak in there at times. It happens with age I guess. Still, I had taken 3 days off from basketball to recycle and refresh, and overall, I was just so happy to be on the court today, so I spent even more than I have been lately.

Despite some special teams issues, the Cowboys pulled out a win over the Skins yesterday. Good to see us win a close game. We've lost too many of those the past couple years. Now if only the Cowboys could get everyone healthy, they'd be in an even better place.

Speaking of football, I didn't watch tonight's game, but watching the highlights, it looks like KC played a very good first half, but then the Patriots got a grip and conquered after half time.

Well, I guess we'll make it a short and sweet post tonight. I'm looking forward to what tomorrow brings, and I am working for one daily goal right now, simply to make something potentially good happen everyday. Why, "potentially good"? Because some things take time, but it's positive to get a process started, even if you have to wait and see.

Thank you God, for the work I'm allowed to do through your word.

-- Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment