Saturday, November 26, 2011

PB&J... Ice Cream?

So have you ever tried peanut butter and jelly flavored ice cream? No way that's any good. And what's up with all these multi-colored candy canes? I'm a sucker for the originals I guess. If I had a million dollars, I probably wouldn't spend too much of it, but one of the things I would buy is a slurpee machine, ever since I saw Happy Gilmore had one, I've been jealous.

True story, when I was 3 years old, I had made up my mind that when I grew up, I wanted to be a Ninja Turtle. I was set on that goal, maybe minus what color I would wear. Unfortunately for me, I'm still working on that one, and luckily for me, I've grown up a little over the years.


That may seem like random stuff, but that's the point of this whole blog, it's random stuff. I guess a lot of what I talk about is up to your interpretation as a reader, and that's fine. I made it pretty clear from day 1 that I never thought the things I talked about or any of my opinions mattered at all, even to the readers. I just share stuff on here, much of it I don't share all that often. People read it, for whatever reason, but they read it, and take what they want from it.

I've been through a lot of stuff in my life, and only I know my own story completely, just like you only know yours. I've always felt that every situation is different to every person. People say they know what it's like to lose a grandparent, but they don't know what it's like for you to lose your grandparent. There's a big difference. I don't pretend to know what anyone feels like or has been through, and I've always appreciated people who understand how to be that way.

When I say I've had a lot of great experiences in my life, I have, and only I know every single one of them. It's the same with the bad ones. I think a famous poem tells us that, "when you're up, you're up, and when you're down, you're down." At the end of the day, good or bad, you can always look in the mirror and remind yourself to work harder tomorrow because you can always get better. Everyone can always get better, I'm at the front of that line, I want to be at the front of it too.

I'm very open about the adversity I've faced in my life, real life, hard, difficult things, outside of work, relationships, basketball etc. I remember eating McDonald's for Christmas dinner when I was in grade school because that's the best we could do. I've been hurt, injured, a few times pretty badly. I've lost people I love, former teammates, people I looked up to, and even two fraternity brothers. So when I talk about adversity, it goes much much deeper than anyone knows. And when I talk about overcoming it, well I'm still here, and I appreciate being here and what I have a lot more because I went through it.

Me, I've failed in life often. I'm not the man I want to be, but I'm working on it. I'll never be the best, but I can always try. I've let people down and I've made the wrong choices, and I can't take that back. Sometimes I look at myself and wonder where I'm even going in life. But I've learned to be honest with myself, be my own biggest critic, take the losses, and work hard through the pain.

Speaking of losses, I figured Virginia Tech would win today but dang, that was a little bit bigger of a margin. It's been a couple years since I've seen either team play in person, which kind of sucks. But, I'd still say Tech just played pretty close to perfect football today, because I don't think UVA is a bad team at all.

The NBA lockout has finally come to an end it seems, and I'm glad to see that happen. I look forward to the Mavericks raising that banner, but I'm also happy that the thousands of people who rely financially on the NBA will hopefully be back at work. I know a lot of people that love basketball but don't like the NBA, and I understand their arguments. It's different than college ball, but I guess I've learned to enjoy it for what it is. The guys playing at that level are the best in the world in the game that I love, I know, I've played against a few.

Well that's it for a Saturday night, I'm off to practice my ping pong skills. But seriously, peanut butter and jelly ice cream?

-- Naitch

No comments:

Post a Comment