Friday, July 13, 2012

Leave the brass, seek the gold

Well, it's safe to say this will be a Friday the 13th to remember.

I think I can best sum it up by saying... I'm thankful for the past and excited for the future.

That's the way you move forward in life. You appreciate the experiences, good and bad, and all the people you meet along the way. You trust in your work ethic and work through the challenges. You meet people and build relationships. You win some, and you lose some. But you're grateful for all of it. All of it.

At times like this, I tend to take my own advice and remember that I live in my own reality. The future really is bright, you just have to make it there. Some days, you don't make a lot of shots, but you wake up the next morning, get in the gym and you keep shooting. You have a short memory, because yesterday's misses are through, you can't shoot them over. You are a better player because you put up the shots, whether you made them or missed them.

Now I have a chance to go do something else! There have been a lot of new opportunities coming my way for a while, and yet I held on to a few brass rings for too long. Brass sucks. It's made to look like gold, but it's not, and I need to find the gold rings and take them for myself. I used to not settle for brass, I used to walk away from it in search of the gold. It's good to remember that in life you can't settle for less than you deserve. My good friend Bomani Mintz always reminds me that if you keep accepting peanuts, they will keep feeding you peanuts. Go get something better, don't put up with the nonsense.
  
I'm so excited to enjoy an actual weekend. What a great feeling this is going to be. I really can't wait to do something as simple as go to church on Sunday morning, for the first time in over two years!!! That's going to be a great feeling, to be free.

As always, thanks for reading. Remember, live in your own reality and keep working hard today. It's easy to settle for brass in life, but keep reaching for the actual gold. It's good to be free.

-Travis 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment