Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It doesn't always go your way, but it always keeps on going...

When I was in high school, I always used to turn to one of my favorite movies to cheer me up from a tough day, you know a bad workout or something on the court. That movie is Oh Brother, Where Art Thou, the classic George Clooney film based on Homer's epic, The Odyssey. No matter what, it's always been a go to for me, for whatever reason. Maybe it's the theme song to the movie, "Deliverance" by Bubba Sparx. Both the song and movie are about a long journey, full of highs and lows, different characters, and the twists and turns along the way to your destiny, your deliverance.

So I guess it's fitting that I got home tonight, and flipping through the channels, my go to movie was on. I think that I just went through a day I will remember the rest of my life, for better and for worse. Needless to say, I learned a lesson the hard way today, which is never fun, but I'm a better coach because of it, and for that, I'm appreciative. But, it still stings a bit, which is why I was glad my movie was on.

Right now, I have to follow the baseball hitter's approach. Sometimes you strike out, heck you go 0-4 in a game and find yourself in the middle of a slump. One bad at bat leads to a bad game, leading to a bad week, and you slide. Good hitters though get through it. They show up early to the ballpark the next day, get in the cage, and take their cuts. You've got to have a short memory and a desire to get out of this funk you're in.

So somehow, tomorrow, I have to get to the ballpark early and get more work in, and put this bad day behind me. Easier said then done, huh? But hey, this is what success is made of, overcoming struggles and defeating opponents. That process always starts with you looking yourself in the mirror and putting the work in.

Staying in the 2000s, perhaps 50 cent said it best, "Sunny days wouldn't be as good, if it wasn't for rain. Joy wouldn't feel so good, if it wasn't for pain." I'd like to wake up tomorrow to sun, but if I don't, and this is the million dollar question, how do I bring the sun out?

Some quick thoughts....
- Our spring sports banquet was last night at CH, and we said goodbye to a wonderful group of seniors who have meant a lot to our girls soccer program. It's always great to see our players get honored with All District and All Academic awards, and all 6 of our kids that earned these honors deserved it. It was great coaching both basketball and soccer at CHHS this year, and I admit, it's weird not being up at the school around the great staff and our players already. But, there's a lot to look forward to.

- The Yanks beat the Rays tonight, and remain on a roll. I've decided that when Nova isn't striking guys out, he's also not giving up hits and runs. Weird. Not sure if this has to do with his approach or just a statistical coincidence, but either way, I hope America's Baseball Team stays on a roll.

- I got to watch the 2nd half of the OKC-San Antonio game tonight, and I have to say I'm convinced more than ever that OKC wins it all this year. However I have to say, I enjoyed watching Mark Cuban and Dirk raise that trophy last year a lot more haha. 

Remember that things don't always go your way, but the one thing that's for sure is that things always keep going. Get back up to the plate and take your hacks. Time to get on a hit streak...

--TP

No comments:

Post a Comment