Monday, August 20, 2012

Don't even think about it...

You know you want to do it, but stop.

Think about this for a second.

Seriously.

Here on this blog, I preach one basic principle, to live in your own reality.

So, you didn't get something you probably deserved, huh? Well I have news for you, chances are, it's not your fault, it's someone else's. And I'll be honest with you, it's ok to be mad. I am. But this blog is written in a positive energy, so we won't revert to anger.

Everyday, decisions are made over your head that affect you. This is about as true as it gets. I mean, our government and elected officials at the Federal, state, and local levels make decisions and laws that we live by everyday. That's just one example, but point proven.

Unfortunately, not every decision favors us. We stay away from opinions on here as well, but I think we all know someone who is "in charge" or some kind of "authority figure" who is unfit or shouldn't be there. That's not your fault either.

Did you know, I applied for a coaching position at a college, and not only was I not interviewed, but the person that got the job, went 0-28 last year at a school at the similar level. Think about that one. Not every coach can be judged by their record, I know that firsthand, but seriously. Again, I'm just throwing an example out there, though.

And in these decisions, that we usually have very little say over, the individuals making them don't understand how much it affects us. I'll tell you, I've been so close but still lost, and the closest losses hurt the most. For me, lately, one or two losses have amounted to larger impacts. Simply put, I didn't get the job, so I can't afford to live in my apartment with my best friend. That's tough.

Now for the turn....

We don't let this affect us. You're great. You're great because there's a direct proportion to your performance and the amount of effort you put in. There are other factors, but there's no substitute for hard work. Don't forget that. You don't work less when you're at the bottom, you work more. A lot of people slow down when they achieve their goals, I say you always keep making new ones. ALWAYS.

I read in a recent post by Alan Stein that everyone wants it, but not everyone deserves it. Wow, what a great concept. I agree with that, but there's also an asterisk there, because you can deserve something and not get it.

So I turned 25 last week, yes that means I'm getting old. But seriously, I realized a few things. I need to go back to being my own biggest critic. I need to get back to 6am workouts everyday, and I need to be harder on myself. If I focus on me, good things happen.

The moral of this post is simple. Success speaks for itself. Sometimes you don't get what you want, but ask yourself if you deserved it. Even if you did deserve it, you still might not get it. Live in your own reality. Be a positive, energetic, motivated, driven person. Refocus on yourself. Pray about it. Don't take no for an answer. You have nothing to lose.

And, as always, live in your own reality.

Until next time, keep searching, keep working.

-Travis
Twitter: @travisponton

No comments:

Post a Comment